At least two people are dead after a passenger speedboat capsized near a popular tourist destination, leaving passengers scrambling in the water, G1 Globo reported.
2 Dead, At Least 7 Missing Following Passenger Speed Boat Crash
The tragic incident occurred on Friday, Feb. 13, at around 12:30 p.m. local time as a Lima de Abreu XV speedboat was traveling from Manaus, Brazil, to Nova Olinda do Norte. According to officials, the boat capsized at the point where the dark and muddy waters of the Rio Negro meet the light, sand-colored Solmões.
Two people have been confirmed dead, while a further seven are missing. One of the deceased was confirmed to be three-year-old year-old girl, named Samila de Souza, who was treated at a local hospital but sadly died despite the best efforts of doctors and nurses. The second victim was identified as 22-year-old Laura Bianca.
Harrowing photos from the scene show survivors trying to navigate their way to shore as firefighters descended upon the scene. A police boat and an ambulance from the Mobile Emergency Care Service also assisted in the rescue and recovery efforts.
Amazon Agency
Amazon Agency
71 Survived, But At Least 7 Remain Missing
"Currently, we are conducting a conference call with all individuals who were on board, including passengers and crew, in order to confirm the information with complete responsibility and transparency,” boat operator Lima de Abreu Navegações said in a statement. “We are also investigating, together with the competent authorities, all the circumstances that led to the incident.”
Seventy-one passengers survived the shipwreck, with many using flotation devices to push themselves to shore. "Most of them had already been rescued by boats passing by the area,” explained Colonel Ellton, the commander of the city’s specialized firefighters. “The assistance was provided by specialized teams focused on pre-hospital care and rescue for those who were still in the water.”
“From the very first moment, all appropriate emergency measures were taken,” Lima de Abreu Navegações said in a statement obtained by Metropoles. “The company's absolute priority has been to provide full assistance to the victims and their families, offering all necessary support during this time of immense grief. “We remain at the disposal of the authorities for any necessary clarifications, awaiting the conclusion of the technical investigations,” the statement concluded. “At this time, we express our solidarity with the families and friends of the victims.”
from Men's Journal https://ift.tt/4eDMGZK
via IFTTT