The NFC South was created in 2002 when the league realigned after adding the Houston Texans. Since then, it has been one of football’s more entertaining divisions. We’ve seen teams finish in last place one year and win the division the next; in fact, that happened every year from 2002-2007.
The team that has won the NFC South the least is the Atlanta Falcons. They have won four division titles, with their first in 2004 and their most recent in 2016. They have made the playoffs 8 times and appeared in one Super Bowl. Though I suspect Falcons’ fans would rather forget their Super Bowl LI experience.
The Carolina Panthers are in third place with 6 division championships. They have also made the playoffs 8 times since realignment. They have two Super Bowl appearances: Super Bowl XXVIII, which they lost to the New England Patriots 32-29, and Super Bowl 50, which they lost 24-10 after being the league’s most dominant team during the regular season.
The New Orleans Saints are tied for the most division wins with 7; they lead the division in playoff berths with nine. They have made one Super Bowl, that being XLIV, where they defeated the Indianapolis Colts 31-17.
Related: Why Did Drew Brees Never Win an MVP?
Tied for first with New Orleans is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who have also won the division 7 times while making the playoffs eight times. They have won the Super Bowl twice, first with a dominant defensive performance against the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII, where they defeated the Oakland Raiders 48-21. Then they were led by Tom Brady, who was scorned after parting ways with the Patriots, helping Tampa Bay best the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9 in Super Bowl LV.
The NFC South is my favorite division to watch because I never know what will happen. Tampa Bay had won the division every season from 2020-2024, but the Carolina Panthers usurped them last season. However, it wasn’t like the Panthers had an amazing season; they only went 8-9, the same record as the Buccaneers and Falcons, winning on tiebreakers.
If I had to predict who will win this season, I would have to go with the Panthers to repeat. However, I believe Saints quarterback Tyler Shough could make New Orleans a dark horse. The more I think about it, though, maybe Baker Mayfield will have a chip on his shoulder and ball out, or even Tua Tagovailoa could resurrect his career in Atlanta. Whatever happens, I’m sure it will make for another entertaining season in the NFC South.
from Men's Journal https://ift.tt/ZDTpohM
via IFTTT